You don’t have to be a modernist to admit this: the toilet is one of the most elementary components of our living space. It’s a piece of private enclosure that you visit several times a day. Hygiene, comfort, and a welcoming atmosphere are the factors that a toilet should offer. Whether this is the case often depends on the toilet seat and the corresponding toilet lid.
The range is large, however, and it is easy to lose track when looking for the best toilet seats. So, what are the best to choose from and how are you going to be sure you’re making the right choice?
With our research covering round toilets, raised toilet seats, elongated toilet seats, padded toilet seats, toilet seats for bidet attachment, heated toilet seats, among others, here, we list out and review the best models on the market. Also, we’ll give you a guide to making the best choice.
- 1 The 10 Best Toilet Seat
- 1.1 BEMIS 1500EC 162 Toilet Seat with Easy Clean & Change Hinges
- 1.2 Mayfair 1843SLOW 000 Lannon Toilet Seat with Slow Close
- 1.3 KOHLER K-4639-47 Cachet Quiet-Close with Grip-Tight Bumpers
- 1.4 Mayfair 847SLOW 346 Kendall Slow-Close Toilet Seat
- 1.5 Mayfair 115EC 000 Soft Easily Removes Toilet Seat
- 1.6 Delta Faucet Morgan Slow Close Elongated and Round Toilet Seat
- 1.7 KOHLER K-20110-96 Brevia Toilet Seat, Elongated, Biscuit
- 1.8 Vive Toilet Seat Riser with Handles and Padded Arms for Handicapped
- 1.9 Mayfair Toilet Seat with Black-Chrome Hinges
- 1.10 Mayfair Cameron will Never Loosen and Easily Remove Toilet Seat
- 2 What You’re Looking At
- 3 Which is the best toilet seat to buy?
- 4 Are wood or plastic toilet seats better?
- 5 What is the most comfortable toilet seat?
- 6 Are wooden toilet seats a good idea?
- 7 Conclusion
The 10 Best Toilet Seat
BEMIS 1500EC 162 Toilet Seat with Easy Clean & Change Hinges
Available as round toilet seats as well as for elongated toilets, Bemis leaves homeowners, convenience facilities, commercial, public, and hospitality buildings spoilt for choice with 15 color options. The toilet seat is lightweight at 7 pounds, measuring a standard size of 17.44 x 14.13 x 2 inches.
It is manufactured in the USA by Bemis. With its high-quality construction and design, the product ranges from $18 to $22, depending on your color and shape choices. Recommended for use in residential homes, we are impressed by its durability and finish. It is finished in highly glossy enameled wood that prevents scratch and chip damages.
One great thing about the product is its easy installation and cleaning. Additionally, it can fit all standard toilet bowls from Kohler, Toto, American Standard, and other models from top toilet brands. It’s therefore one of the best value toilet seat models on the market.
- Made in the US
- Made from environmentally sustainable materials
- Easy to clean and change
- Durable enameled wood seat
- Easy installation
- Doesn’t feature a Slow-Close system
Mayfair 1843SLOW 000 Lannon Toilet Seat with Slow Close
The Mayfair toilet seat offers homeowners a seat with a Slow-Close system, something which ensures the seat closes slowly and you don’t have to bend to close the lid. One of the most interesting things about this feature is it eliminates slam-shuts.
Yet another great feature is the hinge system which never loosens. Meanwhile, during cleaning time, removing it is a snap. The secret behind the Never Loosen feature is in the Top-Tite STA-TITE fastening system. It works by simply securing the seat to the toilet bowl, ensuring it doesn’t loosen except you want it to.
Other interesting features include the construction material and finish; it is made of wood and has a high gloss finish. So, it will have no problem with scratches. Finally, you also have to note that the seat comes in elongated shape design and as a round toilet seat, making sure you can choose one which fits your existing toilet bowls.
- Elongated and round toilet seat designs
- Slow-Close hinges for quiet and ergonomic use
- High gloss finish and eco-friendly material
- Made in the US
- Easy to install
- Only available in white
● Harsh chemicals for cleaning can ruin the enamel finish
KOHLER K-4639-47 Cachet Quiet-Close with Grip-Tight Bumpers
Also available in round and elongated shapes, the Kohler toilet seat system includes a lid and the standard seat. One great thing about this toilet system comes in several color options: you can choose from colors such as almond, biscuit, black, cashmere, dune, ice gray, sandbar, thunder gray, white, and white ring wax.
Unlike our first two options which are made of wood and enamel finish, this model is made of plastic. However, both versions (the round and elongated) include hinges equipped with the Quiet-Close and Quick-Release hinges. The Quiet-Close system ensures the lid closes as quietly as possible; no slamming, no low bends!
With the Quick-Release, you can unlatch the seat from the toilet bowl easily when you need to clean it. You wouldn’t need tools to unlatch the seat. Another good feature of the seat is the so-called grip-tight bumpers. These let the seat remain stable on the toilet with no irritating shifts.
- Quick-Release hinges for easy removal
- Closes slowly and quietly
- Light plastic toilet seat
- Available in multiple colors
- Designed for elongated and round toilets
- Stays stably without shifts
- Doesn’t fit well with a bidet
- Uncomfortable for some users
Mayfair 847SLOW 346 Kendall Slow-Close Toilet Seat
The Mayfair 847SLOW is yet another Slow-Close toilet seat. However, what makes this different from many other types of seats within its price range is its ease of installation.
One of its standout features is the STA-TITE fastening system, an innovation that is common with Mayfair toilet systems. The installation design ensures you can install it safely and stably with just a wrench. Thanks to this feature, the seat will never loosen and it wouldn’t wiggle around.
Obtainable in two shape styles as usual – round and elongated, it is designed in three colors; white, bone, and biscuit/linen. With an ecologically sustainable motive and elegance in mind, the product is made from wood. As you find in most toilet seats from Mayfair, it is finished in high gloss enamel that prevents scratching and chirping.
- Installs with no wiggle
- High quality toilet seat
- Toilet seat that doesn’t move
- Compatible with round and elongated toilets
- High gloss finish for aesthetics and functionality
- Scratch and chirp resistant
- Not so comfortable with big-bodied users
- Could be a little bit cheaper
Mayfair 115EC 000 Soft Easily Removes Toilet Seat
Designed with a premium hinge, the toilet seat is made entirely of wood and it is characterized by the soft-close system which prevents the lid from banging noisily. For the rest, it has characteristics common to high-end products.
Thanks to the adjustable hinges, it can be installed on any toilet bowl and is easy to clean. The instructions provided are clear and precise; it, thus, makes assembly quite easy. The seat is sturdy, resistant to scratches, and ideal for luxe bidet nozzle installation.
You have to note that the 115EC is a premium product. It comes at a higher price than many others in the review and this is mostly due to the design of the hinges. The toilet seat features the STA-TITE fastening system, for stability and ease of installation, preventing unwanted removals during use. The feature also ensures easy removals if you want to change your existing toilet seat.
However, you should be aware that aside from the fastening system, the toilet seat doesn’t feature anything more spectacular, which makes us think it should come a little bit cheaper.
- Premium hinges
- Reliable fastening system
- Fits Kohler, Toto, and American Standard toilets
- For toilets with elongated and round designs
- Not for those who are tight on a budget
- No Slow-Close
Delta Faucet Morgan Slow Close Elongated and Round Toilet Seat
If you are on a tight budget, we recommend that you take a look at the toilet from Delta Faucet. Equipped with seat bumpers that will not slip, the seat is designed to stay unshifting and unmoving during use.
The main strength of the product consists in the possibility of using the soft close, which is the mechanism that regulates the slow closing of the lid. So, there is no risk of making it slam in case it slips from your hands.
With a universal design, it adapts to any type of toilet because it has standard dimensions. The elongated versions measure 18.5 x 14 x 2 inches while the round models measure 16.5 x 14.25 x 2 inches.
Users report the simplicity of assembly; this is quick and easy. Once installed, the seat is stable and sturdy; it is ideal for heavy people.
Made of medium quality plastic, but considering the affordable cost, you can turn a blind eye to this. Besides, some users say it is sturdy during use.
- Standard dimensions in elongated and round shapes
- Fairly priced
- Closes slowly and quietly
- Seat bumpers for stability
- Easy to install
- Slow Close mechanism not very durable
KOHLER K-20110-96 Brevia Toilet Seat, Elongated, Biscuit
Designed in biscuit and white color and round and elongated shapes, this Kohler toilet seat will fit into most styles of toilets, whether for babies or adults. The toilet seat impresses us with its attractive price-performance ratio. It offers you, in addition to the Quiet-Close function, numerous other comfort features such as tool-free removal and a flat surface for increased hygiene.
The automatic lowering of the toilet seat allows both the toilet seat and the lid to sink evenly and largely noiselessly onto the ceramic. The Quick-Attached hardware ensures secure and fast installation.
The toilet seat can be cleaned easily by removing the seat as a whole. Another good feature in the seat is the grip-tight bumpers which ensure your seat stays unshifting and unmoving during use.
- Grip-tight rubber bumpers for stable fitting
- Secure and fast to install
- Safe and ideal for potty training
- Available in two colors
- Closes quietly
- Available in round and elongated shapes
- The Quick-Attach hardware isn’t as quick as advertised
Vive Toilet Seat Riser with Handles and Padded Arms for Handicapped
Ideal after hip replacement and for disabled persons, the toilet seat riser has handles with padded arms for ergonomics. Featuring a bathroom safety chair with an elevated extender, it is portable, functional, and aesthetic in design. The toilet is durable and recommended for people who weigh up to 300 pounds.
Asides from the toilet seat, you have the lid, a set of handles with ergonomic paddings. However, you have to note that the product costs almost twice that of most seats we have seen here.
Despite how sophisticated the design is, what we are very impressed with is its ease of installation. You don’t need tools to have the padded toilet seat installed; it is easy to install over any type of toilet, whether round or elongated.
However, the brand still recommends that you measure out your toilet before buying. Finally, it’s a bit expensive, but despite being a padded toilet seat, it still falls under $100.
- Recommended for elderly and handicapped
- Tool-free installation
- Heightens your existing toilets
- Not universal in size
- Equipped with ergonomic handles
- Not a Soft-Close seat and there are no Quick-Release hinges
Mayfair Toilet Seat with Black-Chrome Hinges
Designed in three color options of white, red, and black, this Mayfair toilet seat has brushed hinges and is made of wood.
Also available as round and elongated seats, these Mayfair toilet seat series weigh around 7.6 pounds. Ensuring no slamming, the seat comes with the Slow Close design that helps it close quietly and slowly.
For stylish, secure, and long-lasting durability, the Mayfair model has a brushed nickel finish that won’t stain and will make cleaning a snap.
You also have the STA-TITE Fastening System; a regular in Mayfair’s seats, this is easy to install and will not wiggle or remove without you wanting it to. Its installation design ensures you can install it safely and stably with just a wrench
The wood toilet seat will fit most round and elongated seats from Kohler, Toto, American Standard, and more.
- Decorative and functional chrome-plated metal hinges
- Reliable STA-TITE fastening system
- Compatible with Kohler, Toto, and American Standard toilets
- For round and elongated toilets
- Features the Slow-Close design
- The coating could be more durable
Mayfair Cameron will Never Loosen and Easily Remove Toilet Seat
Made of durable wood enamel, the highlight of this toilet seat is its STA-TITE fastening system. It’s the secret behind the Never Loosen feature in Mayfair’s range.
The hinge design works by simply securing the seat to the toilet, ensuring it doesn’t loosen. And it’s always a snap when it’s time to remove the seat for cleaning or replacement.
Another interesting thing about the product is its amazing color range. The seats are available in 11 different colors. These include silver, bone, white, harvest gold, black, biscuit/linen, beige, sky blue, pink, rainforest, and seafoam.
The most stunning in our opinion is the sea forest, but it all depends on your bathroom decor. The rainforest and the seafoam designs are the most expensive in the lineup. The bone and white variants are the least expensive and have a starting price of around $18 and $21.
- Plenty of color options to choose from
- Fastening system for secure installation
- Easy to remove
- Scratch-resistant finish; attractive toilet seat
- Sturdy and durable construction
- Elongated and round shaped toilet design
- No Slow-Close
What You’re Looking At
For some, going to the toilet is tasking, for others, it is a welcome time to rest, during which people are forced not to do the household, study, or work for a few minutes. The toilet can therefore be seen as an oasis of calm in which time stands still for a short time. It is not uncommon for people to reach for a book in the toilet, which makes it clear that a visit to the bathroom is not always perceived as a necessary evil.
However, a toilet system is never comfortable to use without a befitting toilet seat. And you have quite a lot of properties to watch out for. In this section, we’ll help you make the best possible decision in your search for the best elongated or round toilet seats. Below are some criteria you have to consider if you want to find toilet seats ideal for you.
The toilet seat type
In our toilet seat comparison, we differentiate between three categories, some of which differ fundamentally in their properties. This includes the classic toilet seat, which simply consists of a toilet seat and a toilet lid, the soft close toilet seat and finally the shower toilet seat.
- Classic toilet seat: This is a typical variant with a toilet seat and lid. It’s usually made of MDF (fibreboard) or plastic. You can make a manual folding down of the lid. However, the downside is the lid could fall; this makes noise and there is the risk of damaging the material.
- Toilet seat with soft close: The set includes toilet seat and lid with a soft close. The hinges are slow; hence, the noiseless sliding down of the lid; this system is more comfortable for you and gentler on the material.
- Family toilet seat: This toilet seat is suitable for families with children who tend to drop the toilet seat. Some are integrated with a shower nozzle for cleaning the anal and vaginal area while some are also integrated with a warm air dryer. Other interesting features are they are more hygienic, no toilet paper necessary, can optionally be used as a normal toilet seat, and are often equipped with soft-close.
- Toilet seat for hemorrhoids, sciatica, etc: There are special seats designed to be used by persons with specific pathologies. For example, for sciatica sufferers, padded toilet seats are most recommended. For hemorrhoid sufferers, their type tends to be hollow in design.
We recommend the toilet lid with soft close, which meets most requirements and is still a very affordable toilet seat.
With regard to toilet seat material, you usually have the choice between two options: the wooden seat and the plastic one. In terms of quality, there is not much difference between the two materials, although the wooden toilet seat can be said to have a slightly longer lifespan. Models with wooden materials can be ideal for outhouses.
Another advantage of the wood: it feels warmer when you sit on it, which can often be pleasant, especially in the early hours of the morning. In addition, many people perceive it to be of higher quality and more aesthetic than an ordinary toilet seat in gray, black, or white.
A wooden toilet seat is not always made entirely of wood; the toilet seat only has a wooden core. Molded wood seats can be made of medium-density fibreboard (MDF). As a rule, however, this does not change anything in terms of the attractive appearance and better thermal properties.
When it comes to the hinges, too, it may be worth taking a look at the material used: The hinges are usually made of either plastic or stainless steel.
Experience shows that hinges made of stainless steel promise significantly longer service life; plastic hinges aren’t so durable.
While the material of the toilet seat depends primarily on your preferences and whether the color of the seat matches the toilet set, you shouldn’t think twice about the hinges – we recommend a stainless steel hinged seat.
The most beautiful toilet seat looks out of place if it doesn’t fit well on the toilet. Usually, you need a toilet seat about 42 cm long for a round toilet bowl. 47 cm is often required for elongated toilets.
In most cases, the required width is between 35 and 38 cm. When you buy your toilet seat, you should therefore pay attention to the shape of your toilet bowl, its length, and its width to find the perfectly fitting toilet seat.
You can flexibly adapt adjustable toilet seats to the spacing of the toilet pilot holes.
The attachment of the toilet seat also plays an important role, after all, not every household has a standard toilet. Most manufacturers and brands have already reacted to this and offer toilet seats with adjustable fastenings.
So if you are not sure whether your toilet is the standard size of many toilet seats, consider buying a toilet seat that has adjustable mountings. So you can fasten your toilet lid in a relaxed manner without having to be prepared for nasty surprises.
Other useful criteria
In this section, we summarize some other interesting aspects that your toilet seat can bring:
- Antibacterial coating: A special coating prevents bacteria from developing on the toilet seat. No special cleaning agents are required for cleaning. If you attach great importance to the greatest possible hygiene, this type of toilet seat is ideal.
- Heated toilet seat: A heated seat is a big plus in comfort. A heated seat can make cold winter days comfortable. Heated seats are especially recommended for people who are often cold and need a little warmth.
- Motifs for the toilet lid: If you neither like the typical white design nor the wood look, you will find a variety of products with motifs that can lighten the mood in the bathroom. Last but not least, the embellished look is ideal for families with small children.
Which is the best toilet seat to buy?
The best toilet seat to buy is simply the one that best fits the user’s needs, regarding their current health condition, age, underlying pathologies such as sciatica, hemorrhoid, and more. However, from our research, the overall best toilet seats for general use are the Bemis Toilet Seat, Mayfair 1843, and the KOHLER K-4639-47. All of them are high-quality seats made in the US from materials that are mostly ecologically sustainable. In addition, they all have the Slow-Close or Quiet-Close function, which is ergonomic for the user.
Are wood or plastic toilet seats better?
The answer to this question depends on your needs. Most modern toilet seats are made from wood and plastic. However, if you want a light seat or a seat that matches your white bathroom decor, then a durable plastic toilet seat is your go-to option. But if you want models that are not necessarily in white, but more elegant with anti-scratch and chip-resistant properties, then the wooden seats are more preferable. Wooden toilet seats are more ecologically friendly and are thermally resistant than plastic seats.
What is the most comfortable toilet seat?
The most comfortable toilet seats are those with integrated cushions. These are great for people with sciatica. A heated seat is most ideal for winter use. The most comfortable for babies are those with smaller seats, asides from the bigger adult seats; the baby seats are usually under the adult seat, making the product a three-piece model.
Are wooden toilet seats a good idea?
Wooden seats are ideal for you if you want elegance and environmental sustainability. They are the most recommended for outhouse toilets because of their high weather-friendly properties.
We use the toilet between 4 and 10 times every day. Therefore, choosing the perfect toilet seat is important. If you are often too cold when you go to the toilet or if you cannot get used to the material of your toilet seat, this can make going to the toilet uncomfortable. The right size and shape can also make a visit to the bathroom more pleasant. And last but not least, the design of your toilet lid can make the quiet place more inviting. All of this can determine how much you enjoy using the toilet and whether you find the time there wasted or pleasant. We hope that you’ve been able to find your favorite among the 10 recommended seats.