No one can deny the fact that one-piece toilets are a sensible innovation on the market for sanitary technology. They are an upgrade to the classic two-piece toilet models. Economical, ecologically friendly, functional, hygienic, easy to install, and portable in every aspect, there’s everything to love about one piece toilets!
Depending on your preference and needs, you can choose between floor-standing, wall-mounted as well as a flat or washdown single piece toilet. Wondering what these innovations are and how to choose one?
- 1 One-piece Toilets: Review of 10 Best Models of 2022
- 1.1 1. Swiss Madison SM-1T254 St. Tropez One Piece Toilet
- 1.2 2. Nature’s Head Self Contained Composting Toilet with Spider Handle Design
- 1.3 3. WOODBRIDGE T-0019 One Piece Toilet With Dual Flushing System
- 1.4 4. Swiss Madison SM-WT450 Toilet
- 1.5 5. DeerValley One Piece Toilet with Dual Flush Toilet
- 1.6 6. HOROW HWMT-8733 Mini Commode Water Closet Toilet
- 1.7 7. KOHLER 3810-47 Comfort Height 1.28 GPF Toilet with AquaPiston Flushing System
- 1.8 8. American Standard 2004314.020 One-Piece 1.6 GPF Toilet
- 1.9 9. TOTO MS854114ELG#01 One-Piece with Elongated Toilet seat and 1.28 GPF Flushing System
- 1.10 10. Swiss Madison SM-1T257 One Piece Toilet with Side Holes
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
One-piece Toilets: Review of 10 Best Models of 2022
In this best one-piece toilet review, we will present to you in our in-depth review 10 of the best one-piece toilet models of 2022.
1. Swiss Madison SM-1T254 St. Tropez One Piece Toilet
Our best one-piece model is the St. Tropez from Swiss Madison. Designed in glossy white, matte white, and matte black, the toilet from Swiss Madison Well Done Forever is a toilet with a fully skirted trap way that ensures one-time flush and ease of cleaning.
One of the key things which impresses us is it comes with two powerful nozzles that remove the grime left behind by a squeaky toilet. One other great feature to pay attention to is the toilet has a very stylish and modern design with an elongated bowl that complements the bathroom decor.
Besides, it’s equipped with QuickRelease stainless steel hinges with matte chrome. The system releases quickly when you want to separate the cover from the seat during cleaning. Also, the top flush system allows you to choose between partial or full flush according to your needs. It uses little water for flushing, so there is no water wastage. To prevent water splashes on the floor, you need to close the lid.
- Soft-close lid helps limit noise
- Quick-release design makes cleaning easy
- Extended height allows for more comfort
- Elongated one piece toilet
- You can install a heated seat on it
- Flushes with a splash, except lid is closed
- Need a second flush
2. Nature’s Head Self Contained Composting Toilet with Spider Handle Design
It is undeniable that it is not the most attractive toilet in the world. However, this is a stand-alone, compost, elongated one-piece toilet that is quite ecologically sustainable. It’s made from such a speckled off-white vinyl that you can find in festival portaloos. The toilet is designed to store urine and solid waste individually, as well as mixed solids, turning them into liquid waste.
You only have to choose the compost base you use. Coconut coir works well as it is easy to store; sawdust is another great alternative. Add it to the bathroom trash can and you’re good to go. Urine is collected separately and you will need to empty the bottle more frequently. It can hold about 10 liters. If only one person uses the toilet, you will need to drain it every two to five times.
And what we consider the most amazing feature is that it is a toilet that does not use water in any way. Thus, we recommend it for use where you have water shortages or are out of a water resource.
- Does not require water
- Features a side-mounted fan to reduce odor
- Full-size comfortable seat
- Can process liquid and solid waste
- Five-year warranty
- Urine is not always completely diverted from the solid waste container
- No way to know if the urine container needs to be emptied
- Not particularly attractive
3. WOODBRIDGE T-0019 One Piece Toilet With Dual Flushing System
The WOODBRIDGE T-0019 is another one-piece high-efficiency elongated bowl toilet designed in cotton white. If you want a luxurious and modern toilet, this dual flush toilet is your best bet. The full glaze design provides a stylish look and makes cleaning easy. Also, integrated with a siphon flushing system, what is happening in the bathroom will not be heard outside.
The under $500 toilet system ensures powerful flushing that does not cause leaks or clogs. The closing seat is made of stainless steel hinge material, which is durable. For security reasons, the device is SCA and UPC certified. The dual flush design will allow you to save water and protect the environment. The appliance is available in a complete all-in-one package which includes a soft closing seat, water fitting, wax ring, installation instructions, floor bolts, and hand wrench.
- Plumbing connection for smooth and easy cleaning.
- Quiet but powerful flush mechanism
- Locking seat is smooth with a durable stainless steel seat hinge
- The clean and elegant look complements different styles
- It has quality construction with a sleek design
- Beautiful design with elongated bowl
- It is heavy; at 152lbs, requires 2 people to move and install it.
- Has no universal height
4. Swiss Madison SM-WT450 Toilet
The Swiss Madison Ivy is a mid-range rimless toilet for wall mounting. This model is not an elongated one-piece toilet. It has a round bowl with a dual flush design of 0.8/1.28 gallons per flush. The construction of the rimless toilet differs somewhat from the construction of most other toilets in the category; it has an open flush rim. Overall, this is easier to clean than a conventional, overhanging rim.
One thing to note is to keep the cleaning effort as low as possible, the manufacturer equips the toilet with porcelain construction. The wall-mounted toilet is a washdown, so you can assume that there is less odor. Sold for under $300, it has high value for money. You can install a heated seat on it.
- Weight limit of up to 500 lbs
- One of the best dual flush toilets
- Includes installation components
- Lightweight construction weighing just 48 lbs
- QuickRelease and soft closing seat
- Warranty could be longer
5. DeerValley One Piece Toilet with Dual Flush Toilet
The DeerValley toilet impresses us with its dual siphon flushing system. With a comfort height seat design, this one-piece toilet is ideal for people with disabilities. What we like is that the toilet has a soft closing toilet seat that ensures it closes quietly and slowly. On the other hand, there is a full-skirted design for a sleek look and ease of cleaning. The bottom is designed in a way that makes it easily accessible and therefore easy to install.
You have to know, however, that the product is not an elongated one-piece toilet; it has a round bowl. With the double flush system, you’ll be able to choose whether you want to flush using 0.8 gallons or 1.28 gallons per flush. Besides, there’s the slow close seat design which means you don’t have to bend so low to close the seat and you don’t have to worry about it making a slamming noise when you drop the seat.
- Full skirted design for ease of cleaning
- Comfort height that meets ADA standard
- Dual flush system with low and moderate water consumption option
- Super quiet, thanks to the slow close and siphon system
- Includes everything needed for installation
- Nothing to complain about
6. HOROW HWMT-8733 Mini Commode Water Closet Toilet
The HOROW HWMT-8733 is a one-piece floor standing toilet with a double flushing system. It has a modern and compact design that adapts to the needs of your home and complements all the decoration of your bathroom. The lid closes silently to ensure it does not cause noise pollution. The double flush function would be ideal for saving water. You have an option of flushing at 0.6 or 1.28GPF, which makes it highly efficient.
Recommended for a tiny bathroom, the size of the toilet is 25 x 13.4 x 28.4 inches. Also, the toilet is easy to install and easy to keep clean. The package includes the installation parts and the illustrated manual, which will make installation quite easy. It is safe for use at home and is ASME A112 certified.
- The siphon system for quiet flush
- For small bathroom space
- This toilet is CEC compliant
- The self-cleaning surface is easy to maintain
- Modern and compact for small bathrooms
- 5 years manufacturer warranty
- Not for a large bathroom
7. KOHLER 3810-47 Comfort Height 1.28 GPF Toilet with AquaPiston Flushing System
Made of vitreous china material, available in an elongated bowl shape, and designed in five different color options: almond, biscuit, black, ice gray, and white, this is a top product from a top brand – Kohler. The product also comes with a comfort height seat. There is a special AquaPiston flush system that lets in water into the bowl from all angles. The toilet has a chrome plated trip lever designed at the left side of the bowl.
Furthermore, the unit has the bowl and the tank integrated into one seamless design that is easy to clean. The height of the seat is equivalent to a chair height, which makes seating and standing up an easy task for people with physical disabilities or challenges.
- Innovative flush technology
- Comfort height for ergonomic use
- Easy to clean elongated bowl design
- Quiet and high flush power
- 1.28 GPF compliant to WaterSense recommendation
- Convenient chair height seating
- Prone to clogging, according to consumer reports
- Poor quality control
8. American Standard 2004314.020 One-Piece 1.6 GPF Toilet
The one-piece American toilet has 2 3/8 inch traps, ensuring that all toilet grime is flushed out completely. Thanks to the vitreous china material and EverClean surface, it has a surface that is easy to clear, ensuring your toilet stays spotless after cleaning. Its bowl extends for convenient use. Its elongated bowl siphon design and piston action Accelerator™ flush mechanism help with water saving. Hence, it is recommended for a modern bathroom. It uses just 1.6 gallons of water.
The toilet features a seat that closes slowly to prevent the seat from hitting the bowl, so this ensures a quieter use. Furthermore, the one-piece toilet is ideal for those with large bathrooms, as opposed to small ones.
- Works great without difficulty for those who use a wheelchair
- Has a higher height for a more comfortable use
- Low water consumption at 1.65 GPF
- Includes a slow close toilet seat
- EverClean surface
- Hardly has a downside
9. TOTO MS854114ELG#01 One-Piece with Elongated Toilet seat and 1.28 GPF Flushing System
Made of plastic and vitreous china, and compliant with the standards of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the TOTO toilet is a durable extended toilet with double flush technology and sleek design. This is an elongated bowl toilet with a water tank built into the bowl at the back. Its super soft polish with vitreous china construction offers hygienic benefits. It prevents dirt from sticking on the surface. Also, the Toto toilet is integrated with a SoftClose seat that ensures a quiet and smooth seat lowering.
Its bolts are tight to ensure easy installation of the device. Additionally, it resists the harshness of chemical cleaning agents as it is built with good quality materials. Better yet, no water splashes when flushing. The toilet has a wide 3-inch flush valve. The curved tank allows you to keep everything on top. And again, using the toilet is not difficult, it is more like 1, 2, 3. It stays clean for a long time, as dirt does not easily adhere to its surface. It has a catalyzed ion barrier that protects against debris.
- Ergonomically designed for user comfort
- 1.28 GPF powerful flushing system
- Compliant with WaterSense, CEC, CALGreen, and ADA
- Soft close seat prevents noise from slam-shuts
- Water saving
- Great value for the money
- Doesn’t flush well above the waterline.
10. Swiss Madison SM-1T257 One Piece Toilet with Side Holes
Finally, we round up with yet another model from Swiss Madison Well Made Forever. Designed in glossy white and made from porcelain, this is a toilet with a fully skirted trap way that ensures one-time flush and ease of cleaning.
It has QuickRelease hinges for ease of cleaning. The system releases quickly when you want to separate the cover from the seat during cleaning. Also, it has a dual, top flush technology that allows you to choose between partial or full flush according to your needs. A one-button flush only uses 0.8 GPF while a dual-button flush doesn’t use more than 1.28 gallons of water.
- Uses little water for flushing
- QuickRelease seat design for ease of cleaning
- Powerful flush system for water economy
- Seat closes quietly and gently
- Elongated bowl
- Clogs up easily
The advantages of a one-piece toilet outweigh the classic models with a two-piece design. While the cleaning of two-piece toilets is very time-consuming and, in most cases, a 100% cleaning cannot be achieved, one-piece toilets can be cleaned hygienically. In the section, we’ll tell you what to consider so you can choose the right toilet with a one-piece design.
The type of one-piece toilet
On the market, you will find a wide range of one-piece toilets. You can choose between solid floor-standing toilets and wall-mounted or wall-hung toilets. There are also flat and washdown models as well as numerous other designs.
1. Wall-mounted one piece toilet: Today, wall-hung toilets are becoming more and more popular, which can be explained primarily by their compact design. On the other hand, the installation of such a model is sometimes more complicated, and some preliminary work is necessary in any case.
- Space-saving design, ideal for tiny bathrooms
- Less cleaning effort due to the compact rough-in dimension
- The space under the toilet is easy to clean
- Price lower than for floor-standing toilets
- Assembly is more complicated, a concealed cistern and a wall element are required
2. Floorstanding one-piece toilet: A floor-standing toilet has a solid construction and is relatively easy to assemble. But this model takes up a lot of space and is not necessarily the right solution for smaller bathrooms. These are available in elongated seat designs and there are also models with round bowls.
- Solid construction and massive look
- Simple assembly, ideal for a vertical drain
- Compatible with surface-mounted cisterns
- Takes up a lot of space, no space under the toilet
- Difficult to clean due to irregular shape
- Heavy to carry
Material: toilet bowl and tank
When looking for the right model, it is worth taking a look at the material. The material also causes some quality differences and adds special features to the system. You can choose between three materials:
- Ceramic: Most toilets, regardless of the model, are made of ceramic and are mostly available in classic white. Ceramic is an attractively priced, hygienic, and stable clay. The material looks visually appealing and has a cozy effect.
- Porcelain: The material differs from ceramics in that it uses white kaolin clay. It looks more appealing and is also particularly resistant; thanks to its smooth surface, it is easy to clean.
Quite a few manufacturers point to specially coated ceramics as an important quality feature of the toilets. The nano-coating layer, for example, applied with the help of nano-technology, creates an extremely smooth surface, on which hardly any deposits form or dirt stick.
A coated ceramic can be cleaned thoroughly without the use of aggressive cleaning agents. A conventional toilet cleaner is sufficient in most cases. Furthermore, the shape of the toilet bowls with no corners or edges makes cleaning easier.
Some suppliers emphasize a double coating of the sanitary ware, whereby the outer layer has an antibacterial effect and is supposed to suppress the growth of harmful germs. Models with special coating offer you the advantage of significantly reducing the effort required to clean the toilet.
Admittedly, the acquisition costs for coated sanitary ware are higher than those for toilets without the protective layer. However, you’ll be able to save not only your time but also money for the purchase of the appropriate care products due to the lower cleaning effort.
Flushing system and water usage
The advantages of one-piece toilets include a reduced water requirement. This is why the design is not only considered hygienic but also economical and environmentally friendly.
A one-piece toilet requires a maximum of 1.28 gallons of water to completely flush away the excretions. Some particularly economical models use as low as 1.25 GPF maximum. This is well below EPA WaterSense’s recommendation of 1.6 GPF.
A dual flush system has a lower, one-button flush meaning you will be able to use just around 0.8 gallons per flush. To reduce the maximum amount of water in the cistern, open it and find the float, which is attached to a threaded rod. Turn the float down a little so that the water flowing into the cistern raises it earlier and thus closes the inlet earlier.
Other innovative and functional flushing systems to watch out for include the tornado and double cyclone flush system.
Some additional features to watch out for include:
● SoftClose seat: Soft close seat designs allow the toilet seat and lid to lower gently while delayed. In this way, you don’t have to worry about a loud clatter. People with limited mobility also benefit from a SoftClose seat. The seat no longer has to be folded down manually, but it closes slowly and automatically onto the toilet bowl. We emphasize at this point that the automatic lowering is a purely mechanical feature and does not require a power connection or a battery.
● QuickRelease: Seats with QuickRelease hinges are also for convenience because you can remove the seat at any time without using tools. In most cases, you have to press a button or two to do this. By doing the way, it is possible for you to thoroughly clean the toilet and seat yourself and to easily reach some otherwise difficult-to-reach places. After cleaning, the seat can also be reattached without tools.
● Smart toilets with remote control: Some modern day bidet toilets come with remote control. Added enhancements such as the heated seat, lighting systems, auto-flush systems are electrically connected and you can use the remote control for this. An example of a smart toilet with remote control is the Bio Bidet Ultimate BB-600 Advanced.
Are 1 or 2 piece toilets better?
A one-piece toilet is better than a two-piece toilet in aspects of aesthetics, eco-friendliness, ease of use, ease of cleaning, and portability. One-piece designs combine the design of two-piece toilets in just one design, with better functionality.
What toilets do plumbers recommend?
For the sake of functionality, plumbers often recommend the one-piece models as new toilet models. However, lazy plumbers would recommend the two-piece models because they’re easier to install. But a professional plumber will most likely recommend the one-piece models because of the modern designs.
What is the best flushing toilet on the market?
The best one-piece model with an efficient flushing system on the market is the Swiss Madison SM-1T254 Toilet. It utilizes a tornado flush system that lets you make pressure flush when you have more wastes.
Are one-piece toilets any good?
Asides from their complicated installation requirements, the best one-piece designs are economical, ecologically friendly, functional, hygienic, easy to install, and portable in every aspect. It’s one of the most modern toilets.
A one-piece toilet is a modern toilet design that helps align our needs for convenience with the current ecological requirements, to the needs of people with poor mobility, and for all-around ease of use and hygiene. The best one-piece systems as we have seen have full-skirted designs that ensure a direct flush and low water consumption. While choosing, ensure you choose one with the reviewed features, according to your needs, taste, and budget. There’s everything to love about one-piece toilets!